The humble onion is one of the healthiest foods you can eat!
Raw onions contain Manganese, Folate, Potassium, Phosphorus, Vitamins B1, B6 and C. It has a long list of health benefits, which include helping to balance blood sugar and prevent insulin resistance, being anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antifungal, lowering cholesterol, protecting the heart and blood vessels, improving bone health, acting as a prebiotic, which improves digestion and aids beneficial bacteria, lowering risk of some cancers and helping protect against respiratory illnesses like asthma and the common cold.
I make these Sweet Crunchy Onions in advance and we eat it with most of our meals as it aids in digesting our food and just gives a lovely taste and texture to our meals.
- 4-6 medium onions, peeled & chopped
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Himalayan salt
- Filtered water
- Put the chopped onions in a 1-litre glass pot.
- Add ½ cup apple cider vinegar and 1 tablespoon Himalayan salt.
- Fill up with filtered water so that it covers the onions, leaving at least 2cm space between the water and the lid.
- Put on the lid and let it stand on the counter for 6-8 hours. After this time, put it in the refrigerator.
- Allow to stand for 24-28 hours before eating. It keeps in the fridge for weeks and gets sweeter and sweeter!