Who doesn’t like the sweet scent of baked apple lingering around the kitchen? For those baked apple fans, this recipe will rock your world! In fact, we’ll be so bold as to say even if you aren’t a baked apple fan, like Riandi used to be before this recipe, be ready to be forever altered!
And then for those of you that have Afrikaner blood pumping through your veins, this cake may take you back to the days of eating ‘Karringmelk poeding’ in your ‘ouma’s’ kitchen. It is lovely served with home-made custard made with coconut or nut milk.
Vanilla Apple Cake
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup coconut oil for the cake
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil for frying the apples
- 3 tablespoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla powder
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 4-5 medium apples, peeled, cored & cut into pieces
- Fry the apples in coconut oil on low heat until soft (about 25 minutes) and allow to cool slightly.
- Place all the ingredients except the apples in a food processor and mix well.
- Add the slightly cooled fried apples to the rest of the ingredients in the food processor and mix roughly until small pieces of apple remain.
- Bake at 150C for about 1 hour or until cake tester comes out clean.