This is a wonderfully spicy and satisfying warm drink, especially on a cold winter’s night! It’s made using the Spice of Life, also known as Turmeric! We have a very serious love affair with this yellow golden spice. And no, we don’t mind that it stains everything it comes in contact with!
Turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal agent with numerous health benefits. The use of turmeric dates back nearly 4000 years, and presently, there are over 6235 peer-reviewed articles published on the health benefits of turmeric and one of its bioactive compounds curcumin. The Spice of Life indeed!
The combination of oils, spices and honey in this drink truly satisfies any craving!
- 3 cups coconut milk (can substitute 1 cup coconut milk with 1 cup water)
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1.5 teaspoons turmeric powder or 1 tablespoon grated turmeric root
- 1.5 teaspoons ginger powder or 1 tablespoon grated ginger root
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1.5 teaspoons cinnamon powder
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla powder (omit for AIP)
- Pinch of Himalayan salt
- 3 teaspoons raw honey
Optional spices for additional flavour and health:
- Pinch of nutmeg powder
- Pinch of ground cardamom powder
- Pinch of ground clove powder
- When using fresh turmeric and ginger root, blend all the ingredients (except the honey) in a food processor and place in a saucepan to simmer for 10 – 15 minutes.
- When using turmeric and ginger powder, no need to blend, just place all the ingredients (except the honey) in a saucepan and simmer for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Add honey once golden milk is warm and stir to dissolve.
- Strain through a small tea sieve, serve warm and enjoy!