I dedicate this recipe to my Mom who makes the best oven-baked lamb chops ever! It is one of my favourite ways to eat lamb and mutton.
I prefer to buy mutton as it works out more affordable per kg. Since it is slow roasted and not barbecued like we South Africans usually do, you can be sure that it always turns out tender. And it is always a hit!
- 6-7 mutton chops
- Juice of half a medium-sized lemon
- Himalayan salt to taste
- Crushed black pepper to taste
- Rosemary sprigs
- Put the chops in an oven-proof baking dish (no lid necessary).
- Squeeze the lemon juice over.
- Sprinkle with salt and crushed black pepper.
- A few rosemary sprigs can also be added in between or under and on top of the meat to enhance the flavour.
- Put in the oven for at least 5-7 hours at 90-100C. If it is not crispy/roasted enough to your liking, it can be turned to 140C for 30 minutes.
- If your time is short, you can put the oven to 125C for 4-5 hours. I prefer the longer method, though, as it renders a tenderer chop.