We all know the health benefits of leafy greens like kale, spinach and beetroot leaves. Best way to eat them? Grab a handful out of the fridge and chew. And chew. And chew the cud. Right? Or maybe steam them until they are just about as soggy as you can handle?
Why don’t you try our version?
In an attempt to feed our kids and ourselves more greens, we came up with this wonderfully tasty and crispy edition of leafy greens even your fussiest child will devour. And best of all, it is super easy and quick.
- 1 bunch of spinach
- 1 bunch of kale
- 1 bunch of beet greens
- 1 bunch of leeks or spring onions (optional)
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon mixed herbs like Herbamare
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- Wash and de-stem the greens and put in a mixing bowl. You can cut the leaves into smaller sizes to make eating easier (and cleaner).
- In a food processor, blend the leeks/spring onions until very fine. Add to the mixing bowl with the greens.
- Add the spices and coconut oil. Mix thoroughly with your hands until everything is covered.
- In your dehydrator: Dry at 65C for about 5 hours until crisp.
- In your oven: Dry at 80C for about 2 hours until crisp. Be sure to use the fan setting and put a fork or tablespoon in the oven door for the moisture to escape and prevent chips from going soggy.