I always buy zucchinis, but am often unimpressed with how they turn out as a side-dish. These boats have restored my faith in the humble zucchini, and have turned into a great favourite in our house, especially for our son. It is filled with both meat and veggie-goodness and easy to prepare. The recipe is inspired by my Turkish friend, Meltem, whose mom introduced me to a similar dish. Sail away!
Minced Meat Zucchini Boats
- 6 medium-sized zucchinis
- 500 g ground meat, beef or lamb
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, grated
- ½-1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 2 teaspoons dried Thyme
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Wash the zucchinis well and cut off ends. Cut lengthways in halves.
- Spread a small amount of coconut oil on the outer side (skin) of the zucchini halves, put in a glass oven dish skin down, salt to taste and bake for 30 minutes at 150C.
- After 30 minutes, remove from the oven and scoop out the flesh of the zucchini so that only the skin and about ½ cm of flesh remain.
- Cut the scooped out zucchini flesh into small pieces.
- In a separate pot, add 1 tablespoon coconut oil, chopped onions, grated carrots, scooped out zucchini, salt and spices, and stir-fry on medium for 10-15 minutes. Add ground meat and simmer for another 10-15 minutes, or until meat is done.
- Scoop the meat stir-fry mixture into the zucchini boats and bake in the oven at 150C for another 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve with a salad and vegetable side like steamed broccoli or stir-fried turmeric & ginger cauliflower.